Thursday, May 17, 2012

Showing Kindness



Sometimes, I wonder if I'm doing this whole 'motherhood' thing right.  I feel like I always have to be on my game because little eyes are always watching.

There are times that I feel the need to explain things Abby does or says.  Like the time she clapped for a little girl who tripped.  She wasn't being mean, although I knew the other parents may think she was.  We used to (and still do) clap for her when she falls.  As long as she's not hurt, we try to prevent her from crying by making her think she did a good trick.  Abby was just doing what she had seen.

Except, I wondered if I somehow made her unkind.  I wondered if she didn't quite understand that the little girl might be hurt and clapping was not appropriate.  I used the moment to teach her that we always check to make sure someone is ok.

I wasn't sure she listened.

Until, the day one of her dancing school buddies wasn't feeling well.  The little girl was laying down while we were all getting ready for class.  Abby walked right over to her and asked her if she was ok and then rubbed her back.

Instead of run around with the other girls before class, which is by far her favorite part of dance class, she was concerned about her sick friend.

My heart warmed because my little girl gets it.  She is kind, caring, and worries about others.

I am one proud Mama!

5 comments:

  1. Aw! You should be proud. What a sweet story. I knew exactly why she clapped -- we used to do that, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story about her rubbing her lil friends back. We all have our family quirks that drip over into society and people wonder, what the heck?
    Your doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all wonder if we are doing things right. This story shows you that you have taught your daughter to be kind and compassionate. She will continue to learn this from her mama, because you are such a fantastic mom! Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails