Tuesday, April 13, 2010

First Birthday










When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts.  A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. 
 ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty

She never quite leaves her children at home, even when she doesn't take them along.  
~Margaret Culkin Banning

Making the decision to have a child-it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."


~Elizabeth Stone



"A daughter may outgrow your lap, but she will never outgrow your heart." 
~Author Unknown

A child's life is like a piece of paper on which every person leaves a mark.
  ~Chinese Proverb



Today my Abby is a year old!  Everyone told me time will go fast but this year was a blur!  It seems like only yesterday that I went into labor, 10 days earlier than I was supposed to.  She was definitely ready to be here but I wasn't ready for her.  I was in denial from the night before... my husband kept telling me that I was having labor pains and I kept saying no.  Even after my water broke the next morning I thought, "No way my water broke... I think I peed myself."  It didn't take me very long to realize I was in labor and I had to get moving... but first I had to make some phone calls.  This is the actual order of calls from that morning:

  1. My mother:  I called her as I was on the toilet, afraid to get up and pee myself again, to see if she thought I was in labor.  She told me to call the doctor and go to the hospital.
  2. The doctor:  Told me to go to the hospital.  Suddenly I realized that I had hairy wildebeest legs and knew I would spend the whole day completely embarrassed.  So, I asked the doctor if he thought I'd be able to shower.  Thankfully, he said yes but I should hurry.
  3. My mother:  Called to tell her I was going to shower, shave, pack and go to the hospital.  She thought I was crazy and tried to talk me out of the shower and shave but I am stubborn!
Bet your wondering where my husband is?  Well, he was packing... but not for me!  He was nervous and decided to pack a huge (probably 3 foot long) duffel bag with everything he owns.  I have no idea what he was thinking.  But while I am in pain, trying to shower, and trying to pack for myself and Abby he's running around the house packing a months worth of clothes.  The funniest part?  Once Abby was here and he went to get our bags he was embarrassed to bring his "luggage" to the room.  Too funny!

This past year has been one of the most difficult and one of the most rewarding.  I have watched Abby change from this tiny little creature who barely opened her eyes to a creature that can spot a speck of dirt from across the room.  I've watch her learn to roll over, crawl, stand, walk and run.  I was there the first time she smiled and laughed out loud.  I heard her say her first word (Da Da of course!) and couldn't wait for her to be able to say Ma Ma.  I've also grown along with her and we're still growing and learning together.  I never could have imagined the love I feel for her.  It's overwhelming, indescribable, and amazing.


Before you were conceived I wanted you
Before you were born I loved you
Before you were here an hour I would die for you
This is the miracle of life.
~Maureen Hawkins






3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your baby girl! That cracked me up--the having to shave your legs before you went to the hospital part. It is SO true though! The whole week before my due date, I dilligently shaved, and painted my toenails. I wanted to make sure my legs were smooth and my feet were pretty when I was in labor! What great priorities, huh? And then when I was actually in HARD labor (and not caring what I looked like because I was in so much pain), my twin sister spontaneously applied lipstick to my lips. At the time, I was thinking, what the heck is she doing? But later, when I was looking at the hospital pictures, I was grateful, because it added a nice touch. Kinda silly...Anyway, I hope your baby/toddler Abby had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shannon! Your a girl after my own heart! I wonder what the doctor and nurses were thinking when your sister put your lipstick on! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you from MBC. Have a great week.

    justanightowl.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails