Saturday, June 30, 2012

Be Happy: Navigating Tantrum City

Little White Whale
We've been living in tantrum city around here but I am happy to report that I've made a few changes and things have been better.

I have outlawed electronics, for the most part.  No more LeapPad, computer games, or IPod unless we're listening to music.  I've also limited tv to one show in the morning, one while I work out, and one more throughout the day if I need to get something done (like dinner or if I'm desperate for quiet).

I am SHOCKED to report that Abby has taken to these changes like a champ!  She actually chose not to watch tv one of the times I asked her and she hasn't even attempted to use the IPod for anything other than music.  She's also acting a lot better and we've been working on ways to get rid of her sad feelings.

The biggest change might actually be me.  I continuously remind myself that she's hurting so even if talking doesn't get through to her, I hold her.  Even if it means Lilly is fussing, I still hold her.  After I give her time and some extra cuddles, I'll try to distract her and give her ideas of fun things we can do.

I have to admit, it's been a bit exhausting.  I never realized how much I relied on these things to keep her busy or distracted.  However, it's actually been pretty FUN!  We've been dancing around the kitchen, playing pretend, reading... I think having the computer up and running all day was a huge distraction from what I need to focus on too.

I have been repeating a little mantra to myself each morning when I roll out of bed (usually at 5:30):  You choose how your day is going to go from now, just smile.  So, when I saw this weeks quote from Little White Whale was, "If you want to be happy, be,"  I decided to jump on board.

If you want to be happy, just be....



Being happy is a choice... there are reasons to smile in every moment!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, love this post! We have been dealing with so many tantrums too. It's such a challenge. Glad to hear that cutting back on technology has helped. I'll have to give that a try! I'm sorry I've been such a bad blogger friend lately, catching up on your recent posts now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mantra! I need to say that to myself 100x a day - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails