Friday, March 19, 2010

Through a Child's Eyes



"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about" ~ Angela Schwindt


All parents think their children are amazing, and I am no exception! I think my 11 month old Abby is the smartest and most amazing kid in the world! Most days are spent playing and trying to teach her everything from colors to how to use the potty. Some days, like today, she teaches me. I'll never forget the day soon after my mom was put in hospice care. I was sad and talking to my dad on the phone to fill him in. Abby was about 2 months old and was starting to get fussy. She was laying on the floor and I knelt beside her, still on the phone. All of the sudden she smiled at me. In that moment, I realized that no matter how bad things are or what happens life goes on. Not only does life go on but there are still reasons to smile and be happy. What a valuable lesson to learn!
Today was another 'lesson from Abby' day. Thanks to this beautiful weather we have been able to go for walks and to the park. She loves the swings but today we put her in the grass. She was amazed! I wish I could know what she was thinking, but I think it sounds something like, "Grass? What is grass? I'm not sure but this is cool!!!" Then we gave her some sticks and for the longest time she just looked at them wide eyed and lips pursed together. After a moment or so, she got so happy. I mean, shear joy! Over sticks! I couldn't believe it. I don't think a single toy we've bought her has made her that happy! This is the first time she's held a stick or a blade of grass. Can you imagine? Can you remember when the world was so new? She looks at the world with a sense of awe. I think the coolest part of being a parent is watching her and it reminds me to take it slow. Although the grass, leaves, and sticks aren't knew to me it doesn't make the world less amazing. That's my 'lesson from Abby'... enjoy the world!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, sometimes we get so lost in our emotions, thoughts and life and our babies make us realize it's not that bad! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails