Thursday, December 1, 2011

Fast and Furious!

No pregnancy is ever complete without the birth story and the story of Lilly's arrival is definitely entertaining... to all those who didn't have to experience the pain!

Since Abby was 2 weeks early, I figured Lilly would be too.  I at least knew enough to be ready.  So, I was pretty much packed and had all the important numbers I needed to get in touch with Dan and my sister.

Here's a quick breakdown of how Lilly arrived:

October 27th (our wedding anniversary):  3 cm dilated so every twinge put me on high alert.  That made for a great dinner celebration, let me tell ya!

October 31st (Halloween):  Still not here but now my back is starting to hurt so I was sure tonight would be the night!  I was confident that all the walking would accelerate the process.  When I started having contractions that night, I called Dan home but by the time he got here they were gone.  OOPS, false alarm!

Fearing that I'd become the 'girl who cried labor', I started keeping things to myself so that I would be sure the next time.  Days went by and on November 2nd I went back to the doc and was still only 3 cm dilated.

That night, I started having contractions again but I kept telling myself it could be because of the exam. So, I kept things to myself until later that night.  When they were 3 to 4 minutes apart but not too strong I called Dan to come home again.  Since they weren't strong and sometimes only lasted about 5 seconds I figured this was another false alarm and tried to get some sleep.  My thoughts were that if I could sleep then it's not labor because no one could possibly sleep through labor, right!?!

Around 3, my contractions woke me up but they still weren't steady nor were they that strong.  My water had broken with Abby so I thought it would break this time too.  Even though it hadn't, I called the hospital and asked them what I should do.  They said that since my contractions weren't steady and were only lasting anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds then I probably wasn't in true labor.  She told me to stay home until they were about a minute long unless the pain increased.

So, I stayed home.  Almost a BIG mistake!  Thankfully, Dan and I started getting ready anyway just in case.  A couple hours later, I took a shower and by the time I got out I could hardly move to get dressed!  In true airhead fashion, I wasn't sure if this was it.  The contractions still weren't a minute long but now they were coming every minute or less!  Off to the hospital we went!

The 15 minute car ride was unbearable!  We pulled up at 5:37 and Lilly was born at 6:33... after the longest hour of my life!  No epidural meant there were lots of 'mother effers' thrown out there (sorry nurses!) and my poor husband definitely got beat up a bit (only a little sorry for that)!  The doctor literally walked in, suited up, and she was out in two contractions!  Fast and furious for sure but well worth it!

So, lesson learned.  Contractions will not always be a minute long or steady.  For those of you who are expecting, if you think it could be labor then it probably is!  I probably could have had her in the car on the side of the road!  Thank god it wasn't too bumpy of a ride!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm glad you made it to the hospital in time! :) I had scheduled c-sections due to a medical issue, so I never went completely into labor. With my first, I had cramps, and my mom told me that was labor...sure enough, the doctors told me they were going to deliver Lily that day, before I went into full labor! I love remembering the day my kiddos were born. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl and making it to the hospital on time! Phew

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails